Friday, February 11, 2011

Psalm 131

Psalm 131

v.1 O Lord, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty;
Nor do I involve myself in great matters,
Or in things too difficult for me.
v.2 Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me.
v.3 O Israel, hope in the Lord
From this time forth and forever. (NASB)


I went to the doctor at Princess Margaret Hospital on Chinese New Year Eve for check-up and I felt a sense of doom that the recurrence of cancer is inevitable. My immediate reaction - what I can (or should) do with my shortened life? The Lord granted me this Psalm on Chinese New Year’s Eve to sleep on.

This Psalm by David lifted my soul and yet grounded me back to reality. The circumstance has humbled me so that my heart is not proud and my eyes do not aim high. I do not need to always seek a challenging path or strive for excellence, significance, or success…

Lord, help me become grounded in your will and your way and be contented like a weaned child. I am praying to compose and silence my soul. The analogy of a weaned child is marvelous – no longer demanding the mother’s breast milk for immediate gratification or comfort. I have been a fussy demanding baby! But for now, let me learn to securely rest in the mother’s presence. Indeed His love is sufficient. His providence will give me what I really need. I can be satisfied with His good gifts.

1 comment:

  1. Rest peacefully and milk under the mother's breast. Rest in HIM.

    ReplyDelete