Thursday, August 2, 2012

August 2012 The Best Summer

I must say this is one of the best summers I had.
The first summer in Hong Kong I was busy preparing for a new program to launch in the following academic year. The second summer I was going through chemotherapy. The third summer was hectic; I had to teach an intensive summer course and then we headed back to U.S. with a long to-do list.
This summer is really relaxing! First, we moved to our 2-bedroom apartment in May and it is much roomier. Second, we decided that we would not go anywhere for “vacation” because Ma Wan is our vacation home.  We swim and do water-exercised at 7 am together each morning. After dinner, we stroll around the island, praying and sharing. Third, I allow myself not to work too hard.
I notice that I really lose desire to strive for career advancement. I embrace this loss of desire with mixed emotions. On one hand, I feel somewhat empty because for many years I have been goal-oriented and accomplishment-driven. So I am somewhat “lost” in that sense. Where do I go from now on? If my health is good, I still have many more work-years. It seems like I must follow the game rules and advance career wise. On the other hand, I want to have courage to choose a different life.  Yet I do not quite know what that life would look like.
So for now I walk one step at a time, feeling quite contented, noting that God’s providence for each day is sufficient. “Give us this day my daily bread” – I trust that He would provide me with physical, emotional and spiritual nourishment needed on the journey.  I am not anxious as I used to be, having much more confidence in the Holy Spirit’s guidance and direction. As long as my desire is to walk in the Lord’s sovereign will I would be fine.
I can be His cheerful helper!

1 comment: