Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 21 Back to California (2)

The first week in California was relaxing and refreshing – it was a great delight to visit our friends. The second week we spent some time with family in San Diego and we also took care of businesses & ran errands. It became difficult as we approached departure.

On the 3rd Sunday (Day 14) we worshipped at Lake Ave Congregation Church in Pasadena. The sermon was on contentment (Philippians 4 ). I was reminded how the Lord has blessed us abundantly during the years in U.S. I am grateful and content. It has been a wonderful chapter of my life – I completed my PhD and had great professional training opportunities, got my “Mrs” degree and began my career in academia. The Lord has blessed me with more than I can ever imagine when I first arrived U.S. I am most grateful for a life with Victor serving together in the ministry. A lot of memories came back – The Lord had led us through trials and difficulties.

I felt my vulnerabilities intensely for a few days, experiencing both anxiety and sadness. The anxiety was due to a detour of travel plans with various uncertainties that I had no control. This triggered helplessness as well as a sense of loss as we approached farewell. We drove by our home one more time and I cried - it was a bittersweet moment saying goodbye to all the memories there. I also said goodbye to our church families in U.S. We visited the two churches Victor had served on the first two Sundays and had dinner with church families. My Sunday School kids have grown up to be teenagers, and the teenagers have grown up to be young married couples. I realize I was emotionally very attached! I have to let go. This closure is necessary so that I can be wholeheartedly devoted to church ministries in Hong Kong.

In my vulnerabilities, the Lord revealed His presence in our lives. The last few days we had a wonderful experience of God’s guidance. A few minute details pieced together perfectly, showing us that God can mastermind all things. Moreover the Holy Spirit was there to guide us in each step with His prompting. While browsing through the mail, I managed to find a date and location to complete a Continuing Education seminar for my license renewal. [The topic was on Journal Writing as a Therapeutic Tool – I learned a few interesting things about writing. Looking back, the blogging helped me significantly during my cancer treatment. I would write more often on this blog too – it really does help me focus on God’s work in our lives and it is really a privilege to share with you.] The brother who prepared our tax return completed the task for us. We managed to sign the papers to open escrow for our house sale a few minutes before 5 pm before we left Los Angeles. {We are trusting in the Lord that it will come through!} When scrambling to come up with our bank account number at the escrow office, a check I had prepared to support a missionary family was lying in my purse to show me the number. [What we give is little - but the blessings we receive are rich!] On the morning of my departure, Victor got confirmation that his part-time pastoral position has come through. My detour trip turned out to be smooth, only reminding me how God has guided me each step in my life.

God’s message to me was clear at the end of this trip – trust in His sovereign will in our lives. See how He works!

No comments:

Post a Comment