Monday, August 29, 2011

August 30 Give us this day our daily bread

This verse in the Lord’s Prayer has special meaning for me when I once visited my friend diagnosed with leukemia at the hospital. She was having chemotherapy and had difficulty taking in food. We prayed this prayer together before her meal. The Lord answered -- I observed her finishing her bowl of oatmeal! Even if tasty, nutritious food is provided, we may not be able to take them in for the nourishing of our body. We are totally dependent on Him to give us this day our daily bread.

In about a year later, it was my turn to experience this prayer in a personal way. I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Each day I had to work on eating enough to keep my body strong for the 6 chemotherapy cycles. I can do my best to eat, but I really have no control over how the body takes in the nutrition. Praise God for carrying me through. Even on days when my appetite was poor and my mouth tasted metallic (yes, that is the sensation, and the fancy word is Dysguesia), I managed to gulp down 3 meals a day. Saying grace before meals means something else. I experienced the Lord supplying both physical and spiritual food in amazing timings and slowly I learned to trust in His providence.

Now in about another year, “Give us this day our daily readb” has a new meaning. I am trying hard to eat well – to resist fast, processed food, to not postpone a meal because of work, to not indulge in unhealthy delicacies… This requires a lot of discipline as well as time and energy --- I have to purchase and prespare fresh food, plan and organize my meals ahead of time so that I would not "eat out” last minute when stressed. It feels tiring! I also try to reserve dining out only for social purposes and special occasions. Even then I need to make good choices! It is very hard!!

Well, the above seems to be mostly for complaining. But deep within me, my prayer is Lord, give me this day my daily bread. Let me receive my bread and manna from Your hand humbly each day, trusting that You would feed me with Your good food for the nourishing of my mind, body and soul. Lord, please tame my wild desires and quench my thirst with Your living water.

No comments:

Post a Comment